file permission question

David Kirchner davidk at accretivetg.com
Fri Sep 24 08:50:01 PDT 2004

/etc/passwd (probably really /etc/pwd.db) are used for several user-land
programs including 'ls'. It's highly recommended that /etc/passwd stay
readable to the world.

Btw, the output of 'ps' can be easily reconstructed via access to the
/proc filesystem. You can unmount this partition, but ps will operate
differently.

With /proc unmounted, you can still get a process listing for everyone -
you can disable this by setting the sysctl kern.ps_showallprocs to 0.