DEVICE_POLLING in 5.3

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Thu Sep 23 18:20:26 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 03:27:22PM +0200, Yaraghchi, Stephan wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
> I'm trying to tune network performance of a 5.3-BETA5 box
> by compiling the DEVICE_POLLING and HZ=1000 options into
> the kernel. Compilation went fine.
> I found the usual warning in /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_poll.c
> concerning device polling in SMP kernels and removed it.
>
> To finally enable the feature one have to set the sysctl
> kern.polling.enable to value '1'.
>
> The only problem is that 5.3-BETA5 doesn't know about it:
>
> sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.polling.enable'
>
> Any advice is highly appreciated.

Hi,

Did you do a full make buildworld/kernel installkernel/world? If not
then this might be why sysctl doesn't know about it. If so then maybe
someone from current@ might know more about it. (maybe there read this
list to)

Does /usr/src/UPDATING say anything about it?

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/