correct routine of updating installed ports?

Philip Payne philip.payne at uk.mci.com
Thu Sep 23 07:50:29 PDT 2004

>   # cvsup -g -L 2 supfile
>   # portsdb -uU
>   # pkgdb -F
>   # port_version
>   # portupgrade -a
>
>   And what does "make index" actually do? Do I need it?

You missed a step between cvsup and portupgrade.

	less /usr/ports/UPGRADING

... and read, to check out what will happen when certain ports are updated.

Looks much the same as I how I do it. I dont do a portversion. You might
want to create a portupgrade log with the -l switch on portupgrade. Then,
after its complete check for failed entries i.e. those marked with "!" or
"*" so you can manually check out the problem

Also, you may want to add a "portsclean" at the end to remove old distfiles
etc. "man portsclean" will give all the relevant options.

Phil.