Advice: "The Right" authentication method

Andy Holyer andyh at hhbb.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 03:53:47 PDT 2004

I'm working on writing the "Control Panel" scripts which subscribers to
our ISP will use to set up their eMail accounts and web space.

Here's the Server spec:

FreeBSD-Current;
Perl 5.6.1, no problem installing any needed modules;
Apache 2;
I'm keeping ordinary customers off the machine, so I run Postfix and
Cyus and use sasl2 for customer passwords. I'd like to use these ID to
arrange access to the control panel system.

I'm stuck at the very start of my design process. I have two tasks to
do:

Verify that users have supplied the correct password; and let the perl
scripts know who that visitor is, so that we can select the correct
accounts to show.

Do I use SASL directly? or LDAP? or do I implement an Apache module to
handle access and let Apache do the work?

I want to do "The right thing" - that is, the most general and correct
thing possible, I've got years of experience in perl scripting, but at
the moment I wandering around in a twisty litte maze of standards, all
different.

Clue, please?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

---
Andy Holyer, Systems Administrator
Hedgehog Broadband, 11 Marlborough Place Brighton BN1 1UB
08451 260895 x 241