I686_CPU only kernel build

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Wed Sep 22 19:17:02 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 12:08:59PM -0500, Norm Vilmer wrote:
> My current kernel is compiled with "cpu I686_CPU" only.
> Will this cause any problems if I try to build and run,
> for example, the JDK 1.4 port which is said to be a
> i586 release?

JDK uses instruction at the i586 level and the kernel at i686.
The difference doesn't give a problem on a i686. It just means you
switch you instruction set from time to time. This isn't a problem
because the i686 can also read the instruction set of the previous
processors.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: