Ntpd assistance

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.Strobl at gmx.net
Wed Sep 22 14:33:23 PDT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 22. September 2004 23:27 schrieb Bill Moran:
> Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.Strobl at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 22. September 2004 17:19 schrieb alden.pierre:
> > > /etc/rc.conf contains the following:
> > >
> > > ntpdate_enable="YES"
> > > ntpdate_flags="timex.cs.columbia.edu"
> > > xntpd_enable="YES"        # Run ntpd Network Time Protocol
> > >
> > > /etc/ntpd.conf contains the following:
> >
> >        ^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ntpd 4.1 use ntp.conf instead of
> > ntpd.conf?
> >
> > You can try -c /etc/ntpd.conf
> >
> > -Harry
>
> In addition to this minor error ...
>
> I don't believe you can reliably run both ntpdate and xntpd.  Besides,

This is working because ntpdate is invoked only once at startup, which is, in
my case, because of possible empty BIOS-Battery where the date would be wrong
for several years which causes ntpd to refuse to adjust the time.
I use generally ntpdate at startup before ntpd keeps the kernel time in sync.

-Mano