Find Command Syntax

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Sep 22 10:47:53 PDT 2004

On 9/22/2004 10:34 AM Matthew Seaman wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:04:38AM -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>

>>On 9/22/2004 8:39 AM Matthew Seaman wrote:
>>

>>>Try:
>>>
>>>  find /path/to/Maildir/.Spam/cur -type f -mtime +1 -print
>>>
>>>Or you might want to use -ctime instead of -mtime -- I think mtime is
>>>probably a more reliable measure than ctime.
>>>

>>Thanks for your reply.  This seems to work.  However I'm confused.
>>Should I use -ctime or -mtime?
>>

>Hmmm... well, if you just save the Spam messages into that directory
>and don't alter them after that, then mtime and ctime will actually be
>the same.  Either will do.

OK, I'm trying to understand the difference.  According to the manual
-ctime is "change of file status" and -mtime is "last modification
time".  I think I understand what modification means (changing the
contents of the file) but what is "change of file status"?  In my
particular situation, while reviewing my spam folder for possible "ham",
my IMAP client may change the message status from unread to read.  How
would this affect the actual message file?

Thanks again!

Drew