Num lock status on boot

Michael Wichmann michaelwichmann at gmx.net
Wed Sep 22 09:49:28 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 17:00, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 03:05:22PM +0200, Michael Wichmann wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Just a quick question about this little thing, that bugs me from
> > time to time:)  Num-lock ist turned off by default after I boot up
> > FreeBSD 5.2.1. Is there any way to enable it by default?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Micha
>
> There is often a BIOS setting that may affect this, but this is
> assuming that you are speaking about booting to a console.  If you

True... I wasn't aware that this is an X 'issue'. But it turns out num
lock is on when I boot, and goes off when I start into X.

> are booting into X then, from past experience, it is a bit more
> tricky.  I haven't looked at it in a while and things may have
> changed, but as of a year or so ago there were various hacks and
> tools to get the Numlock activated when booting into X.  KDE's FAQ
> used to have a section on this, in which they stated that it wasn't
> really a KDE issue at all, but gave some tips on it simply because

Yep. By now (I'm running 3.3), there is an option in the KDE control
center to activate num lock on startup... just found out about that:)
The numlockx package (... btw thanks Kevin) seems to be the best
solution for now, since it's not KDE specific.
However, it releaves just some of the pain. X resets the num lock on
exit. Any ideas on that?

> the Numlock when booting into X.  A few web searches should pull up a
> lot of information.

Point taken... I didn't find anything on the num lock exit issue
though:)

Greetings,
Micha

--