Fixit floppy/CD

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 09:41:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 06:14:40PM -0700, Henrik W Lund wrote:
> Greetings, list!
>
> I've been reading about a "fixit floppy" that is supposed to exist
> somewhere, and a "fixit CD" too, but I can't for the life me find out
> anything more about them. Googling yields tons of references to
> "inserting the fixit floppy/CD", but none as to how one goes about
> making them!

These certainly do exist -- generally you'ld just download some disk
images and either copy them to floppy, or burn them to CD Rom:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-diff-media.html

The fixit floppy can be found at eg.

    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.10-RELEASE/floppies/

depending on the architecture and FreeBSD version you want. (Floppy
images don't exist for all architecures).  You can also find the
floppy images in the /floppies directory of the Disk 1 iso-image,
which is handy if you run into a CD drive you can't boot from.

Similarly the ISO images you need are in eg.:

    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/sparc64/ISO-IMAGES/5.3/

    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.10/

Mutatis mutandis wrt. version numbers and architectures again.  You
want the disk2.iso, which is a standalone bootable image with a live
file system on it.

If you want to create your own versions of these things from source,
you need a local copy of the FreeBSD source CVS repository, and you
can use the 'make release' command -- see /usr/src/release/Makefile
and other files under directory.  That's not something for the faint
of heart though.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way