Num lock status on boot

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Sep 22 07:55:19 PDT 2004

Michael Wichmann wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>Just a quick question about this little thing, that bugs me from time to
>time:)  Num-lock ist turned off by default after I boot up FreeBSD
>5.2.1. Is there any way to enable it by default?
>
>Thanks,
>Micha

There's a nifty little package in ports called "numlockx"
(/usr/ports/x11/numlockx) that worked for me in blackbox/
fluxbox, xfce, and enlightenment, but doesn't seem to work
with GNOME, or at least the way I'm calling GNOME now
(gdm on ttyv0).  I need to get annoyed enough to figure
out why, I guess.

I just installed it and put "numlockx" in ~/.xinitrc, before
the lines starting the window manager ... or much of anything
else.  Like I said, it worked as long as I was calling "startx";
I guess now that gdm is starting GNOME for me, I need to find
another place to call it from...

Kevin Kinsey