SCSI Shock Advice !

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Sep 21 10:30:11 PDT 2004

> Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> writes:
>
> > By the way, I notice that in the FAQ on moving to a "huge disk"
> > it uses the 'x' switch on the restore and I think it is more
> > appropriate to use 'r'.    So,  'restore rf -'  as I indicate in
> > my post instead of   'restore xf -' as in the faq.
> > Actually, it might work either way, but I think 'r' is more correct.
>
> It will, indeed, work either way, but the "r" flag will do a newfs.
> Because the example had already done a newfs, this is redundant (and
> wipees out any special parameters you may have used in the original
> newfs invocation).

Hmmm.   I have restored lots of dumps using the 'r' switch and never
saw it do a newfs.  In fact the man page for restore tells you to
make sure it is pristine by doing a newfs before the restore.

Actually, I do restore -r into directories that are not even the
root of a file system and had no problem or seen any newfs occur.
 -- I do that when merging one system to another and don't want to
deal with naming all the files on the restore.

////jerry