SCSI Shock Advice !

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Sep 21 08:06:12 PDT 2004

> Hi,
>
> > Thanks for replies, however I need advise
> > on cloning the IDE to the SCSI disc.
> >
> > What is the best / safest way to do
> > a disk clone in this case?
>
> Don't use any of the cloning utilities (not even dd) because you
> are not trying to make an exact byte for byte clone, but rather
> a functional copy.   That is quite different.
>
> The best thing is to create the new file systems
> eg slice (fdisk) partition (disklabel or bsdlabel in 5.xxx)
> and build the file system (newfs) and then mount the new file
> systems to a temporary mount mount and  transfer each file system
> separately by running dump and restore.
>
> Note:  To make a bootable copy you will need to put in an MBR when
> you do the fdisk to create the slice and a boot block when you do t
> the disklabel/bsdlabel when you do the partitioning.  Don't leave
> those out.
>
> If you have room, you can run a dump to a file in spare space
> somewhere and then  restore from that file.  If you don't have
> the extra space, you can pipe a dump of the old fs to a restore
> to the new one.  Make sure you cd in to the new file system
> before doing the restore whichever way you are doing it.
>
> This is covered pretty much in the man pages of dump and restore.
> But, say your SCSI is da0 and you created one slice and did the
> label/partitioning ok and newfs-ed all the partitions and now you
> want to put the old root on the new disk.
>
>   cd /
>   mkdir newroot
>   mount /dev/da0s1a /newroot
>   cd /newroot
>   dump 0af - / | restore rf -
>
> Do the similar for each of the file systems you want/need to move over.
> That probably means all of them.

By the way, I notice that in the FAQ on moving to a "huge disk"
it uses the 'x' switch on the restore and I think it is more
appropriate to use 'r'.    So,  'restore rf -'  as I indicate in
my post instead of   'restore xf -' as in the faq.
Actually, it might work either way, but I think 'r' is more correct.

////jerry