"can'texec getty'/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm" for port /dev/tty8: no such file or directory

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 06:30:25 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 02:56:50PM +0200, Joachim Dagerot wrote:
> I have had this error message for quite some time now. It's not
> bothering me too much because it's mainly published in the logs and on
> the console, and I normally don't even have a monitor attached to the
> system.
>
> But now during this weekends maintainance I have been working from
> console and get the message:
>
> "can't exec getty '/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm" for port /dev/tty8: no such
> file or directory
>
> every 30 second or so, incredibly irritating when writing a longer
> bash-command.
>
> I searched the archive but only found a solution telling that the /usr
> was improperly mounted, which in no way is the case.
>
> Any other ideas?

Edit /etc/ttys and change the line that says:

    ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

to say:

    ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off  secure
                                                    ^^^
The tell init(8) to re-read that file:

    # kill -HUP 1

That's presuming you don't actually have xdm(1) installed or want to
run it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way