X.org performance?

Benjamin Walkenhorst krylon at gmx.net
Sat Sep 18 07:57:42 PDT 2004

Hello everyone,

I am using FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE on a dual AthlonMP 2400+ with 512MB
RAM, 60GB of IDE HDD (UDMA100) and a GeForce 4200Ti.

I recently switched over X.org. After some minor hassles I actually got
it to work. =) However, I *kind of feel* like performance has become
worse.
Especially using AcroRead burns cycles without end. But, say, switching
desktops (I'm using WindowMaker) with maximized windows on them also
hits the CPU considerably. ;-?
Does anyone experience similar 'problems'? (I mean, it's not like my
system wasn't working or something) Is there any hope this might get
better with coming versions?

I am using the 'nv' driver, not nVidia's. I tried the nVidia
driver under Linux, once, and it made my system rather unstable. ;-/

Thanks for any hints,
kind regards,
Benjamin