how to make an executable run as another user

Fri Sep 17 13:53:33 PDT 2004

Rich,

Someone else had responded to your post explaining that setuid does not
work with shell scripts. Nor does it work with any interpreted input.
The following article might help explain this (and others):

http://www.evolt.org/article/UNIX_File_Permissions_and_Setuid_Part_2/
18/263/

QUOTE: "In most UNIX kernels there exists what is called a 'race
condition' when executing scripts. Scripts are pieces of code which are
interpreted by, strangely enough, interpreters. Common examples of
interpreters are perl, sed, and awk. So when you have in your perl code
#!/usr/local/bin/perl it tells the operating system to start executing
the perl interpreter with the current script as input. Between the time
that the perl interpreter starts executing and the time that it reads
in your script the 'race condition' exists. At this time, a mischievous
person could 'win the race' and be able to replace your script with
another. And if your script is running as setuid, that person's script
would run as your user! So their script could do anything that you
could do from the command line. As a result, most UNIX kernels will
disable users from running scripts as setuid. The most common way
around this is to create a wrapper program around your script. A
wrapper, in this context, is a small program, possibly written in C,
that when executed will simply run your script. The 'race condition'
does not exist for real executables and so you won't be thwarted by the
kernel itself."

I'm not exceptionally well versed in this stuff. But I think this is
what you're after.

Alex