Too many dynamic rules, sorry

Norm Vilmer norm at etherealconsulting.com
Fri Sep 17 11:39:29 PDT 2004

Micheal Patterson wrote:

> [...]
I tried your suggestion and got the same results and I think I
understand why. If I have this right, it's putting keep-state on
a rule that cause dynamic rules to be created. Well, I have
removed all the keep-state's except for the one you specified.

I launched the nmap attack against my public ip, however, the
machine I launched it from is on the same network segment as the
firewalls internal interface. So the traffic is going out the firewall
then coming back in. If I am correct, this is a major Doh! on my part.
Of course the net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_count is climbing, the

ipfw add 600 allow ip from 1.1.1.0/24 to any keep-state

rule is the culprit due to the outbound traffic.

So I really need to nmap my firewall from another location
to complete my test.

Hmmm, does this mean that I can mess up my firewall by running
nmap on a machine inside my firewall. It appears so.

Do you know what the maximum value for net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_max is?
I thought I read 8192....

Norm Vilmer