what are the pros and cons of running in single user?

Sergey Zaharchenko doublef at tele-kom.ru
Thu Sep 16 11:20:44 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:53:03PM +0300,
 Giorgos Keramidas probably wrote:
> >On Sep 16, 2004, at 1:31 PM, Sergey Zaharchenko wrote:

> >>Actually, that's what /etc/netstart is for.
> >
> > Now might be a good time for me to point out that I'm learning some
> > subtle and useful things about system startup that is helping me think
> > about how I might customize system start up if I go that route.
>
> Hmmm.  Don't get me wrong, but you shouldn't "go that route".  Other than

I thought `that route' == `customize system start up' according to the
scoping rules:)

> purely educational and system recovery reasons there's no real gain in
> getting your system up in single user mode and manually doing what the
> startup scripts will do automagically for you when properly configured.

True, single-user mode is not intended to be the normal way of booting
up a system. It's a bit like having to start up your heart, lungs, etc.
when you get up --- if you forget something, things would go wrong:).
Any security gained from single user mode can be achieved in multi-user
mode with proper configuration.

Still, stuff learnt for purely education reasons sometimes helps.

--
DoubleF
		-- Rich Kulawiec