CVS CO Error

Kenneth A. Bond fhb_1969 at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 16 09:59:42 PDT 2004

Hello,
This was in fact a server issue, which seemed specific to the US anoncvs server.
I ran the same commands, however, I used the German anoncvs server, as seen below:

setenv CVSROOT anoncvs at anoncvs2.de.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs

I was able to successfully synchronize my source with no errors.

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated!!

KB

Phil Schulz <ph.schulz at gmx.de> wrote:
Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> Kenneth A. Bond wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am trying to update my source using CVS, as CVSup is not an option
>> in my current environment. I am running FreeBSD 4.10.
>> Below are the commands that I am entering in order to perform the
>> update, but for some reason, I am getting the following error when
>> attempting to update my source:
>>
>> lx1005# pwd
>> /usr/src
>> lx1005# setenv CVSROOT anoncvs at anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs
>> lx1005# cvs co -rRELENG_4_10 src
>> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags:
>> Permission denied
>> lx1005# whoami
>> root
[...]
> I'm thinking it must be something in your configuration, as I
> can't replicate the problem here.

I can, but only if I include the -rRELENG_4_10 part.

(using csh)

> # setenv CVSROOT anoncvs at anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs
> # cvs co -rRELENG_4_10 src/COPYRIGHT
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied
> # cvs co src/COPYRIGHT
> U src/COPYRIGHT

If there were a file in the way, you'd see something like

> # rm -rf src/
> # mkdir src
> # touch src/COPYRIGHT
> # cvs co src/COPYRIGHT
> cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
> cvs [checkout aborted]: no repository

The reason why I think this is a server issue is that there is no
reference to /home/ncvs on my system besides the CVSROOT variable. Of
course, I might be doing something wrong, but I'm completely lost on
what it could be.

> Do you have "CVS_RSH=ssh" in your environment?
>

>From man cvs:

> CVS_RSH
> cvs uses the contents of this variable to determine the name of
> the remote shell command to use when starting a cvs server. If
> this variable is not set then `ssh' is used.

I take is that it doesn't matter if you've got it set or not, as long as
you want to use ssh.

--
Did you know...

If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
but what's worse is when you play it forward....
...it installs Windows 2000

-- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org

Computers are like Air Conditioners: They stop working properly if you open Windows.