AudioCD not playing

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Sep 16 06:18:41 PDT 2004

Konstantin <dirx at nm.ru> writes:

> Thursday, September 16, 2004, 3:27:54 AM, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>
> >Konstantin <dirx at nm.ru> writes:
>
> >> When I try to play AudioCD with cdplay 0.92 I receive the following message:
>
> >What happens when you use the (standard) cdcontrol(1) to play a CD?
>
> Thanks for your notice to my problem!
>
> I didn't know about this program before... But it does not decide my problem.
> When I run cdcontrol(1) with '#cdcontrol play 2' (for example), sound begin
> playing from sound jack of my CD-ROM, but there is not anything on audio-output
> of soundcard. I can listen AudioCD with this way without cdcontrol(1) by pressing
> PLAY button on CD-ROM, when disk in it.

Most PC-type systems have a cable from the CD drive to the
sound card for this.

> (I know English not very well, but I hope you understand me.)

Quite well, thank you.

> >What version of FreeBSD are you using?  If it's 5.x, you should try a
> >more recent version, and possibly disabling the APIC.
>
> M.. m.. m... Disabling the APIC?
> I'm new in FreeBSD that this I don't know what is it and how to do that.

Then maybe using the "early adopter's" version wasn't a good idea.
Users are expected to be fairly knowledgeable when they're using these
advanced versions.  [See http://www2.ru.freebsd.org/releases/5.2.1R/early-adopter.html]

You can disable the APIC by setting "hint.apic.0.disabled" to 1 in the
loader.  That's what the release errata say, anyway...