/root default permisions

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 04:34:12 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:24:45AM +0100, Dick Davies wrote:
> * Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> [0956 09:56]:
> > On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:36:59PM +0200, Martin Vana wrote:
> >
> > > I installed FBSD 5.3 Beta 3 - Default install, and as a regular user
> > > I can 'cat /root/.cshrc' or any other file in admin's directory?
> > > is it a bug?
> >
> > No, that's not wrong.  The /root directory should be mode 755, which
> > means anyone can chdir to it, or list the contents.
>
> s/should/is/
>
> Is there any reason why it should be like this?

'should' in the sense that is the way you should expect sysinstall(8)
to leave it on a freshly installed system.

There's no general reason for it to be given any more restrictive
permissions than that.  However you are certainly free to put more[1]
restrictive permissions on your /root if you wish.  It depends if you
put anything in that directory which you don't want other people to
read.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[1] Or less restrictive if you absolutely really must -- but that
would be a rather dumb move.  Allowing anyone to write to /root other
than the superuser is asking to get bitten by a trojan horse.

                                                      Savill Way