help: booting 5.2.1 hangs on pcm

esmaeel pashapouri epashapouri at rogers.com
Tue Sep 14 07:38:05 PDT 2004

Hello list.
I am trying to setup freebsd on a new hp pavilion with
the following configuration.
cpu: amd64
mem: 1Gb
hd:  160 Gb
gc: nVIDIA GeForce FX5200XT AGP 8X with 128Mb
dvd: 1 nec dvd rw/cd rw
cd:  1 cd 48x r
sc: integrated sound card not sure on details of it
but windows show it as ac97
monitor: sharp 17" lcd

I have downloaded and burned 5.2.1 amd64-disc1.iso and
disk2 also.
But when trying to boot of cd, the boot process starts
and after the listing of some devices gets hanged, the
last line on the screen is,
pcm: measured ac97 link rate at 16109 Hz

The hard boot gets the computer start over again.

I have tried 5.3 beta3 and no succes there eather.

Any pointer to any document or links to help get past
this point would be apritiated greatly.

thanks esmaeel