hi

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:44:08 PDT 2004

Hello,

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:11:29 +0000, A W <altonwong78 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> hello i was wondering if u could answer the following questions
>
> 1) is it possible to have both freebsd 5.2.1 with KDE 3.1 and Windows 98 on
> the same Hard Disk. If yes how can i do this?

Yes it can be done. What you are looking for is a dual boot system.
For achieving that first install WIn98. Leave some unpartitioned space
on your hard drive. While installing FBSD, select to install on that
partition and make sure you select to install the boot manager on the
MBR. Refer to the handbook for further details.

> 2) can i run .exe files with KDE 3.1 because when i launch a .exe file it
> asks me what to program to use to it open with.

What you need is an emulator. An emulator creates a kind of virtual
environment so that non native binaries can run on a system. A well
performing Windows Emulator is WINE. You can run *most* windows
binaries in WINE but expect serious performance losses.

> 3) im trying to run 256 color and 800x600 reolution hopefully 1024x780 as
> well. But everytime i configure th Xserver it always launch in 256 color
> 300x200. How can i fix this so that it will run the right resolution i want
> and the right color as well. And i have asked this question before but i
> just didn't quite understand the answers that came back.

In the FreeBSD kernel there is a device called agp. Basically it takes
care of the different AGP chipsets which are present on todays
motherboards. For solving this problem you either need to compile AGP
in the kernel or load the "agp" subsection as a module. For compiling
kernel refer to the handbook. For loading the agp as a module you can
use this:

cat >> /boot/loader.conf <Enter>
agp_load="YES" <Enter>
<Ctrl+D>
reboot <Enter>

If you decide to recompile the kernel then add a line "device agp"
without "s to the kernel config file. That would include the agp
device in the kernel. Btw if you are having special hardware like
nVidia cards and decide to use the drive supplied by nVidia then the
process is a little different. I don't want to confuse with
unnecessary details. If this is the case with you then write in I will
describe the installation of nVidia drivers.

After this X server should load with either 16 or 32 bit color
depending on your GPU.

> 4) Is it possible to run KDE in 16 bit color???? Because everytime i run it
> in 16 bit color it says there are no screens found.

I guess you know this by now.

> if you answer these questions can u please answer them clearly and explain
> the way i have to do the things thoroughly. Because i don't really like the
> fact that i get answer and i have no i idea how to do it or have no idea
> where to find it or what command i have to type, and have to reply just to
> ask how to.
>
>        thank u and please don't find the last paragraph offensive

If you are looking for the handbook then it is

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook

Write in if you need any more references.

Regards
S.

--
Subhro Sankha Kar