libmap.conf ?? [Was:Re: xmms failure]

Andrew J Caines A.J.Caines at halplant.com
Mon Sep 13 20:45:42 PDT 2004

Murray,

>> Rebuild any threaded app which links to the wrong thread library, or as a
>> workaround add this to /etc/libmap.conf:
> Ok i'll bite. what is libmap.conf?

It's well described in the manual.

> where did you find out about it?

On 4.x I first came across it while getting the Linux Flash plugin port to
work with a native browser.

I was bitten by the spinlock error on 5.x and quickly found references to
the problem, solution and workaround after a simple web and mailing list
archive search.

> root # man libmap.conf
> No manual entry for libmap.conf

# man libmap.conf
LIBMAP.CONF(5)            FreeBSD File Formats Manual           LIBMAP.CONF(5)

NAME
     libmap.conf -- configuration file for dynamic object dependency mapping

> root # apropos libmap
> libmap: nothing appropriate

# apropos libmap
libmap.conf(5)           - configuration file for dynamic object dependency mapping

> root # ls /etc/lib*
> ls: No match.

You've got to create it.

> root # uname -a
> FreeBSD wstaylorm.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0: Sat
> Jan 31 14:14:40 EST 2004
> root at wstaylorm.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:/usr/src/sys/compile/MJTDEV1  i386

# uname -a
FreeBSD hal9000.halplant.com 4.10-STABLE FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #0: Thu Aug 26 11:27:03 EDT 2004     root at hal9000.halplant.com:/data/obj/data/src/sys/HAL9000  i386

I recommend keeping up-to-date.

> The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the
> intended addressee and may contain confidential and/or privileged
> material.

I don't care.

> Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of it, or the
> taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons and/or
> entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

I don't care and you are in no position allow or prohibit me doing
anything.

> If you received this in error, please inform the sender and/or addressee
> immediately

Ok. This disclaimer was recived in error, since was written in a published
text, subject to public review, comment and archive. Since this was requested with urgency, tell me what urgent action will be taken as a result.

> and delete the material.

>From where exactly would you like this material deleted? Tens of thousands
of private mailboxes, hundreds of private and public archives? Your client
systems and/or server?

> E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and may be
> corrupted in transmission.

Mommy! Mommy!

> Please carefully check this e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly.

I asked the email if it had packed its contents itself and not left them
unattended at any time.

> No warranties are given and

No warranty? Why would I buy this email message without a warranty?

> no liability is accepted for any loss or damage caused by such matters.

These "matters" sound dangerous. Someone should do something about them.

> This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.

Wait a minute, didn't you just say...

-Andrew-