Quick and simple ssh(1) question

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 13 15:59:32 PDT 2004

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Mark Ovens wrote:
>> Is it correct that you can't ssh(1) between two machines on the same LAN
>> (using NAT) _via the Internet?_
>>
>> Strange question I know, but I need to be able to access one of my
>> machines, postie, remotely. I've got sshd(8) running and can ssh(1) to
>> it from a local machine using it's local hostname. However, since I only
>> have a single 'net connection here I tried to test connecting remotely
>> by ssh(1)'ing to my router's 'net-facing hostname but I get
>>
>>   ssh: connect to host <router_hostname> port 22: Connection refused
>>
>> Port 22 is forwarded to postie on the router.
>
> Given time and sufficient determination, you ought to be able to make this
> work, but it's a real pain--

[snip detailed info]

I think that answers my question - it won't work the way I'm trying it.
As I said, this was just an attempt to test connecting from outside;
guess I'll have to wait until I get to work tomorrow and try it from
there (which is where I really want to connect from), it's just that if
it doesn't work I'll have to wait until I get home to change things - a
bit of a pain.

Thanks for the answer.

Regards,

Mark