how to tell source code versions?

Josh Hansen lists at josh.aros.net
Fri Sep 10 22:24:23 PDT 2004

rob gabaree wrote:

>hi guys:
>
>im pretty new and just recompiled my kernel with cvsup (using src-all)
>and uname -a prints:
>
>FreeBSD xxx 4.10-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p2 #1: Fri Sep 10
>18:01:49 EST 2004     root at xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XCAGE2  i386
>
>i used the RELENG_4_10 tag to do this, but im wondering if someone
>could tell me where to go to find out the latest source code, ex the
>above was -RELEASE-p2.. is p2 the latest? where can i find the latest
>info so i know i ahve the most up to date one?
>
>thanks

It's all about the tags.  RELENG_4_10 will give you FreeBSD
4.10-RELEASE, the -p2 means there have been 2 patches for it since it
was released and you have them.  Tthe RELEASE branch only gets bugfixes
and security updates.  If you want, say, 4.10-STABLE, which will
eventually become 4.11, use the tag RELENG_4.  There is a section on
these tags in the FreeBSD Handbook that fully explains them.

-Josh