Phantom /var full messages

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Sep 9 10:41:47 PDT 2004

--On Thursday, September 09, 2004 01:03:33 PM -0400 Bill Moran
<wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

>> Any hints would be welcomed.  What's the best way to troubleshoot this
>> problem?
>
> First, if you could isolate it to just snort or just MySQL.
>
> Typically, folks have this problem because they try to rotate log files
> without restarting the program that's logging to them.  The rotate program
> compresses the current log file into a new file, then deletes the original
> file ... but the program is still logging to it.  Thus the space fills up,
> but there is no file to see the space in.  Restarting the program doing
> the logging causes the old file to disappear, and a new log file to be
> created.
>
> On a guess, Snort would be the first thing I'd look at.  However, MySQL
> can create a TON of data if logging is enabled, so you may want to look
> closely at it as well.

Thanks, Bill.  That's really helpful.  I suspected it was snort, but I
wasn't sure.  I'll shut down one process at a time and see when df "returns
to normal".  I am using newsyslog.conf which *should* HUP processes when
logs are turned over, but maybe I missed something.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member