what is -DNOPROFILE ?

Geert Hendrickx geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be
Thu Sep 9 04:51:28 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 01:40:33PM +0200, cpghost at cordula.ws wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 12:52:32PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering what this make.conf-flag is for:
> >
> > NOPROFILE=     true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
> >
> > What are "profiled" libraries?
>
> /usr/lib/lib*_p.{a,so}
>
> See gprof(1)

So, if I understand it correctly from gprof(1), profiled libraries are
for measuring how much CPU time is spent in each suboutine?  And, as a
regular user (not a developer or benchmarker), I don't need this and can
use -DNOPROFILE for not building profiled libraries?

I also understand these libraries are seperate from my "regular"
libraries?  So, is there a drawback (other than increased compile time
for a make world) in building them?  Or does it not matter?

GH