VESA_800x600 (age old question)

Lewis Thompson lewiz at fajita.org
Wed Sep 8 14:12:34 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 04:59:23PM -0400, Parv wrote:
> in message <20040908183714.GA43489 at fajita.org>, wrote Lewis Thompson
> thusly...
> > vidcontrol: cannot set videomode: Operation not supported by device
> >
> > Can somebody please tell me what this means?
>
> All that means is the card does not have proper/complete VESA
> implementation.  IOW, get a card w/ proper/complete VESA
> implementation?

Aha!  So while it does have a VESA BIOS it's just not complete.
Presumably the vesa code uses some of the less common features to
achieve what it does?  In a word, it's doesn't work and it's not going
to without some really radical changes to the vesa code?  Can you
confirm/refute this?

  I'd love to switch the card... unfortunately this is a laptop and I
really don't fancy soldering it; might void my Sony warranty ;)

-lewiz.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple at lewiz.net | jabber:lewiz at jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-