Can't send to mailing list from server

Gene Bomgardner glbjr_01 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 11:55:46 PDT 2004

>From: Karl Swartz <karl at kls2.com>
>To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:53:32 -0700
>
> > Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [209.x.y.z]
> >
> > 209.x.y.z is a static address with a DNS entry courtesy of my ISP.
> >
> > Any idea what the list's mta is looking for and how I can provide it?
>
>By obfuscating the last three octets you destroyed the evidence needed
>to fully help you.  The error text (cannot find your hostname) suggests
>you don't have reverse DNS -- mail admins increasingly won't accept mail
>from such hosts because that's often a sign of a mismanaged network
>which also happens to be spewing spam.
>
>However, your message includes a full 209 address in the headers:

>209.240.79.79 does have reverse DNS, so if that's the address that was
>not being accepted by the freebsd mail server it's a bit more puzzling.
>Perhaps reverse DNS was temporarily unavailble.

Correct - the IP is indeed 209.240.79.79 and does have a reverse DNS.
However, forward lookup for the same domain will yield a completely seperate
address since I'm still tied to domaindirect's name servers and using some
of their redirection. I'm beginning to suspect that that's where the problem
is coming from.

Gene