IP Filter on FreeBSD 5.2.1

Wayne Pascoe freebsd-feb at penguinpowered.org
Tue Sep 7 23:16:45 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 05:50:59PM -0400, Paul Mather wrote:
> 20030925:
> 	Configuring a system to use IPFILTER now requires that PFIL_HOOKS
> 	also be explicitly configured.  Previously this dependency was
> 	magically handled through some cruft in net/pfil.h; but that has
> 	been removed.  Building a kernel with IPFILTER but not PFIL_HOOKS
> 	will fail with obtuse errors in ip_fil.c.
>

> (It's a good idea to look in /usr/src/UPDATING before updating your
> system.)

Fair enough - to a point. I only look for things that apply to my
system when reading UPDATING... things that have changed since my last
update. In september 2003, I wouldn't have read the ipfilter related
stuff, because I wasn't using ipfilter at that time.

When I do the update now, I just look for changes since my last update,
which won't go back to 2003, so again I won't see that ipfilter entry.
Then I go looking on the web for a HOWTO to install ipfilter on FreeBSD
5.2.1 - which I found, but it didn't mention this.

I'm sure someone won't mind including a single line in a howto because
that then turns it into a definitive reference, that doesn't require
referencing twoo locations.

Regards,

--
Wayne Pascoe    (gpg --keyserver www.co.uk.pgp.net --recv-keys 79A7C870)
It could be dangerous... A lot of killing...