MP3 Audio CD Burning

Harald Schmalzbauer h at schmalzbauer.de
Tue Sep 7 19:58:21 PDT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 8. September 2004 05:25 schrieb Brian Finniff:
> Is it possible to burn a CD from an .MP3 file? If so, how would I do that?
>
> I would appriciate any help you could give me, thanks.

Ok, any help! Then I possibly have something. First, you can create a red book
audio CD which contains, simplified, wave-tracks.
If you want to make a audio cd out of mp3s you have to convert the mp3 file
into a wav file (pcm) and create a audio-cd (formerly done
by /usr/ports/sysutils/mkisofs but rigth now this tiny utility seems to have
vanished???!)! ???

Another option is to create a data-CD, containig real mp3 files in ISO9660
Filesystem. But this kind of CD needs to be played on special equipment like
newer MP3 capable car radios and so on. HiFi CD Player can't play data CD's
contents though many DVD-Players can replay data CDs with ISO9660-mp3
structure on it.

Hope this helps a little bit, since you're using kde I'd suggest having a look
at k3b (ports/sysutils/k3b), but it's not too easy getting it up and running
(especially if you're not familar with FreeBSD)

-Harry