i cant enter su

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Tue Sep 7 11:38:35 PDT 2004

> i cant enter su in my machine.i controled and i found master.passwd
> files
> mode is 700. how can i change this files chmoýd.please help. i cant
> enter su

What error do you get? Can you log in as root at the console? (This
would validate the root passwd). If you've lost the root password,
reboot the system, and hit any other key than ENTER when it starts up,
then type boot -s to enter single user mode. You automatically are
logged in as root, where you can change his password, by using
``passwd''.

If you know the root password, open up the file /etc/group in your
favorite editor, and make sure your username is listed beside 'wheel'.

...and ahhh, chmodding the /etc/master.passwd file? Personally, I
wouldn't recommend this, but if you must, read ``man chmod''.

steve