IBM Thinkpad R51 & FreeBSD 4.10???

Benjamin Thelen bt at ccgis.de
Tue Sep 7 02:10:55 PDT 2004

Hakim Z. Singhji wrote:

Hi,

I have successfully installed 4.10 on a R31 and a T22. There is some
info on the internet for older IBMs, but not much (see below).

Sound does work.
PCMCIA (16 bit!) should do, but I still could not test.
USB is working well.
Modem (winmodem) does more ore less *not* work. There is even a port
(comms/ltmdm), providing a kernel-module, but I did not test it.
To setup X-Window with KDE is easy.

Overall, FreeBSD 4.10 on those IBMs, no Problem.

http://homepage.univie.ac.at/l.ertl/thinkpad/index.html
http://groups.google.de/groups?q=freebsd+thinkpad&start=10&hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=200206051237.00014.metrol_metrol.net%40ns.sol.net&rnum=20
http://groups.google.de/groups?q=freebsd+thinkpad&start=60&hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=c6v6h3%24evs%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=61

I found this in GENERIC:

# If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the
PCVT lines
#options        PCVT_SCANSET=2          # IBM keyboards are non-std

I suppose R51 will be similar. Hope that helps. FreeBSD 5.x may be a
better choice (ACPI, Cardbus,...whatever), but I still have no 5.x
installation anywhere.

Good luck,
Ben