Web browsing

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Mon Sep 6 08:05:37 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 10:00, JJB wrote:
> owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> > Um, I know this is going to sound stupid, but I am completely
> > dumbfounded as to how I can runa web browser in FreeBSD. I got so
> > frustrated that I didn't know how to use FreeBSD and the fact that
> > Elmira is a Windows city was completely agitating me, so I ended
> up
> > uninstalling FreeBSD from my main hardrive, re-installed Windows,
> and
> > I am e-mailing you guys for help, but don't fret, I have not left
> > FreeBSD high and dry. I am going to install it onto my very old
> 261MB
> > SeaGate HDD. But if I am going to use FreeBSD I need help getting
> > used to it. Like, for example, how do I run a program, let's say
> > Netscape for example. Please do help! I have always heard good
> > reports about UNIX based OSes like FreeBSD. Thank-you.
>

> You probably want elinks a text only browser. It runs from the
> console
> without xwindows and is so small that it will fit on your small hard
> drive
>
> Install it from /usr/ports/www/elinks. Run it
> like this: 'elinks http://www.google.com'.
>
> If you want a console graphical browser that works without X.
> Run , pkg_add -vr svgalib  to install SVGAlib. Then install port
> /usr/ports/www/links and change install compile options to use
> svgalib instead of the default xwindows.
> run it like this: links -g -mode 640x480x64k http://www.google.com

I used to run an earlier version of FreeBSD on a machine with a 200MB
disk (and 48 MB of memory), and that included running X-Windows and
Netscape.  I am not sure if they would still fit, and you would have to
choose the packages you want quite carefully.  Avoid KDE and GNOME - I
am sure they won't fit.  But if you tried FVWM as the Window Manager,
and Mozilla or Firefox (which is a good bit smaller) you might be able
to get it to work.

Well worth a try if you can't get your hands on a bigger disk.  I am not
sure where you live, but in North America you could get a larger used
disk for a very modest price.