is there an 'open-source' RealPlayer?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sat Sep 4 12:18:16 PDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 01:27:45PM -0500, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:52:55 +0200
> Miguel Mendez <flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 01:25:38 -0700
> > Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > > 	Is there any open source version of the Real Audio player?
> > > 	or a translator that takes the input or ra[m] and creates
> > > 	a wav|mp3 stream?  Also,is anything is the works to create
> > > 	a (*ick*) Windoze version of their player for the Unix user?
> >
> > IIRC mencoder (which is part of mplayer) can do that. There's also
> > this new project from Real called Helix (
> > https://helixcommunity.org/ ). I know somebody is already working on
> > a port. You can still use the closed source linux version of Real
> > Player as well, but only for replay, no transcode AFAIK. I'd give
> > mencoder a try, I've used it in the past to convert between video
> > formats and it works very well.
>
> AFAIK the closed source one from real is no longer fetchable...
>
> But mplayer handles nearly all real files properly, so I don't see a
> problem with using it. The only problem I have ran into is using
> mplayer with some old episodes of Daria I have on disk in which the
> audio gets horridly out of sync. But other than those few, it has all
> ways worked nicely.

	Sounding more hopeful.  Can you please post your mplayer
	configuration?  Or give me some hints on howto replace
	realplay with mplayer with mozilla?  It would be nice to
	have FBSD versions of every tool, plug-in or otherwise.
	(Be nice to have Java plugins for mozilla, but Sun has
	its corporate head up where the sun don' shine... *sigh*)

> BTW for doing audio dumps of streams, mplayer works nicely. You can
> just dump to pcm using  -ao pcm. Not really sure how to directly get
> it to dump to a mp3 file... AFAIK it will dump to a avi with no video
> and just a audio stream for doing audio only?

	What I would like to do it create either a CLI script or
	tk/tcl GUI app to record "some_stream" at Begintime until
	Endtime. Output to /usr/local/tmp.  Most online streams
	like from NPR and BBC are archived, but not all.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix