Enabling Serial Console

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sat Sep 4 06:27:39 PDT 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:18:20 -0300 (ADT), in
sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Wish to enable the serial console on my servers so that I can remotely
>view a reboot when it crashes ...

Add -Dh to /boot.config
And to /etc/ttys
- ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
+ ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure

>want to set it so that even if the keyboard is plugged in, the serial
>console works, what do I need to add?  I always thought -P, but reading
>the man page, I'm not so sure :(

At boot up time if you want output to go to the console, hit F1 as
normal, and then at the booting prompt hit the space bar, and then
enter in -h and enter.  It will then go to the console as normal.

	---Mike