is there an 'open-source' RealPlayer?

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Sat Sep 4 01:53:24 PDT 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 01:25:38 -0700
Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:

Hi,

> 	Is there any open source version of the Real Audio player?
> 	or a translator that takes the input or ra[m] and creates
> 	a wav|mp3 stream?  Also,is anything is the works to create
> 	a (*ick*) Windoze version of their player for the Unix user?

IIRC mencoder (which is part of mplayer) can do that. There's also this
new project from Real called Helix ( https://helixcommunity.org/ ). I
know somebody is already working on a port. You can still use the closed
source linux version of Real Player as well, but only for replay, no
transcode AFAIK. I'd give mencoder a try, I've used it in the past to
convert between video formats and it works very well.

> 	Anybody out there:-) ?

Definitely :)

Cheers,
--