freeBSD for a CVS server

Jeremy Faulkner gldisater at gldis.ca
Fri Sep 3 05:39:05 PDT 2004

Martin Gagnon wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm not a FreeBSD user yet, neither am I a Linux user.  Most of my job
> consists in developing systems for the QNX RTP.
> I'm currently in the process of setting up a CVS server for 15-20 users
> and I'm now at choosing an OS for it. The article posted at:
> http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php
> <http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php>
> gave me a good feeling about the design philosophy and goals that
> FreeBSD pursue.  And the HUGE amount of documentation available on your
> website made me feel comfortable... So I think I'll go with it.
> Now the questions:
> -          Which version should I go with? Should I use 4.10 "Production
> Release"? Is the 5.2.1 "New Technology Release" suitable for a
> production server?

If all you are going to use the machine for is a CVS server, then it
doesn't matter what version you use. If 5.2.1 doesn't have any issues
with the hardware you are going to run it on, then I'd use it. Remember,
5.3-RELEASE is just around the corner (about a month) and it is
scheduled to become -STABLE.

> -          Is there any article related to the setup of a CVS server
> with FreeBSD?

Google has several:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=setting+up+a+CVS+server+on+FreeBSD&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

--