Errata Branch

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 00:21:29 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:39:04PM -0600, Paul Andrews wrote:

> I'm looking for some information on the Errata Branch for 4.10. I just
> re-installed my FreeBSD system and am now running 4.10-RELEASE. I want
> to make sure that I am running with the most-up-to-date security patches
> applied.

Yes.  All you need to do is cvsup to the head of the RELENG_4_10
branch, and compile and install using that code.

> I would like to know the steps necessary for appling the changes in
> RELENG_4_10. Also how can I tell if the security patchs and code fixes
> have been applied.

Just using cvsup will get you all of the security and other fixes.
That includes all of the patches included in the various security
advisories issued by the FreeBSD project.

To get a newly installed system up to the latest patch level, using
cvsup and doing a complete buildworld cycle is your best bet.  For any
further Errata or Security Advisories, you can always do another
buildworld cycle, or there will usually be instructions in the
advisory on how to just recompile only the affected bits.

If you go the whole 'buildworld' route each time, the uname(1) output
will show the patchlevel of the system: currently that's
4.10-RELEASE-p2 after the release of FreeBSD-SA-04:13 on June 30th.

Instructions on how to do a buildworld can be found in:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

and also be sure to read /usr/src/UPDATING after cvsup'ing to see if
there are any special instructions.

> My stable-subfile:
> *default host=cvsup12.freebsd.org
> *default base=/usr