Max # of Files in a Directory?

Danny MacMillan flowers at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 2 15:47:48 PDT 2004

Hi.

I googled for this but I couldn't find an answer.

What is the largest number of files that can exist
in a single directory in FreeBSD?  I ask because
I'm using courier-imap using a Maildir mailbox
and I started seeing all kinds of errors when
trying to copy more than 16383 messages into one
of my folders there.  I'm retrieving mail from a
pop3 server using Outlook then copying them into
my imap folder, also using Outlook.

I guess my real question is, what is the bottleneck
in this situation?  Outlook?  courier-imap?  Or
FreeBSD?

--
Danny