Setting up pam_ldap & nss_ldap

Curtis Vaughan curtis at npc-usa.com
Thu Sep 2 11:52:09 PDT 2004

On 5.3-Beta I have installed pam_ldap and nss_ldap.

Then I edited the following files:

/usr/local/etc/ldap.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf
files within /etc/pam.d
particularly /etc/pam.d/ldap and ./sshd and ./su
  /usr/local/etc/nss_ldap.conf

I think that's it.  I can provide each of those files if necessary.
Nonetheless authentication for users not local to this system is not
occurring (which would normally occur for me under Linux).  I have
tried authenticating the following ways: 1) through ssh; 2) through su.
  I have noticed, however, that the way I do this under Linux is not the
same as for FreeBSD.  So, it's quite possible that I have left
something out.  Anyhow, I would appreciate any input into what needs to
be configured to get this to work.

Thanks!