I have no idea

Richard P. Williamson richard.williamson at u4eatech.com
Thu Sep 2 04:34:50 PDT 2004

>On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 07:58:05AM +0000, putnam at speakeasy.net wrote:
>> I am experiencing strange things. When my system boots the screen is
>>overrun with " " " marks everywhere and as it loads the words on the screen
>>are all misspells as do the command's when I type them in, they still give
>>the expected response thought. I cannot figure this out do you have any
>>Ideas for me.?

Further to Matthew Seaman's response, if you are doing this over
a serial terminal, you might check the speed/bits/stop/parity of the
serial connections (9600, 8N1), and the serial cable itself.  I've
seen this when the cable was nulled/not nulled when it should not/
should have been, or the baud rate was enough off and one side
wasn't auto-sensing the speed correctly.

HTH,
rip