vinum revive does not rebuild parity (was vinum rebuildparity, when?)

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Thu Sep 2 03:17:03 PDT 2004

Hi,

back with another episode in this continuing saga:

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:26:57PM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> Witness this (after yet another fake disk crash):
>
> %%%
>
> vinum -> ls -v local.p0.s0
> Subdisk local.p0.s0:
>                 Size:      31457129472 bytes (29999 MB)
>                 State: reviving
>                 Plex local.p0 at offset 0 (0  B)
>                 Reviver PID:    46863
>                 Revive pointer:                 22 GB (77%)
>                 Revive blocksize:               64 kB
>                 Revive interval:                 0 seconds
>                 Drive ren (/dev/ad6s1e) at offset 135680 (132 kB)
>
> vinum -> vinum[46863]: local.p0.s0 is up
>
> vinum -> checkparity local.p0.s0
> local.p0.s0 is not a plex
> vinum -> checkparity local.p0
> Parity incorrect at offset 0x2020
> vinum -> rebuildparity -V local.p0
> Parity incorrect at offset 0x2020
> Rebuilding at 2703 kB (0%)    Parity incorrect at offset 0x2a6664
> Rebuilding at 139 MB (0%)
>
> %%%
>
> which indicates that the parity surely is not correctly recalculated during
> the revive.
>
> Greg, can you tell me if this is correct behaviour?

While not having heard back yet, I had to rebuild another subdisk, but I
decided to do it off-line this time. Turns out the parity was rebuilt
ok. Might there be a bug in the online rebuild code?

I'm running FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE on this box...

--Stijn

--
The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body.  This means
that only left handed people are in their right mind.