Hardware Recommendations (UK)

Wed Sep 1 09:33:59 PDT 2004

I recently built a system using a VIA EPIA PD10000 motherboard with a
VIA C3 (1GHz) processor on it. I've successfully compiled the entire
system (buildworld and buildkernel) for 4.10-STABLE and a number of
ports. Everything appears to work fine. If you want to build your own
kernel, be aware that /etc/make.conf must contain "CPUTYPE=i586" while
the kernel configuration file must/can contain "cpu    I686_CPU". This
appears to be the only way of getting this to compile as a Pentium
class cpu. The whole system cost me $514.10(US+tax) and consisted of

	1. case (Morex 668S w/200W p.s.)
	2. motherboard (VIA EPIA PD10000)
	3. 512MB memory module (PC2100/DDR266)
	4. 80G Seagate Barracuda hard disk (ST380011A)

I was pretty easy to put together and configure.

So far, I'm very happy with it. I'll be setting it up as a
firewall/router/webserver when I get around to it (firewalling is
another issue I'm not prepared for). (At least I don't feel like I am.)
I've heard these systems are popular in Europe for low price and low
power consumption.

You can check out the parts I got at

	http://www.logicsupply.com/ .

HTH,