parts of ports

Luke Kearney lukek at meibin.net
Wed Sep 1 07:58:46 PDT 2004

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:55:35 +0200
"B.Hansson" <bernt at bah.homeip.net> spake thus:

> messmate skrev:
>
> > Hi,
> > is there a way to install only parts of the ports tree to set
> > them up ? The ports tree takes 237M up :(
>
> Yes. tar -zxvf ports.tar.gz path/to/port/you/want/to/install
>
> That's how I did it. See to it that you have Mk, Templates and such
> directorys in your /usr/ports dir.
>

> > Have only 600M hd space available included  swap.
> > The purpose is to setup a firewall/router/proxy VERY
> > secured :)
>
> mmmmm!
>
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> > mess-mate

There are some who might argue reasonably that the machine is more
secure without the power of the ports collection installed. Possible
work arounds might include hosting the ports collection on a different
server and mounting via nfs when you want to use them then unmounting.

HTH

LukeK

--
Luke Kearney <lukek at meibin.net>