Laptops as routers

Luke luked at pobox.com
Sun Oct 31 13:54:37 PST 2004

> If you are worry about power consumption or reliability when using old
> computers I have some general tips for you:
> 1. Don't use a storage device that has spinning disks, instead use a CF card,
> Zip Drive/Disk, etc. http://www.cfide.co.uk/compact_flash_ide_adapters.shtml

To go off on a bit of a tangent here, I find the idea of replacing hard
drives with flash memory intriguing.  When I first heard someone talk
about doing this several years ago, the idea was quickly shot down by
people saying that flash memory has a very short lifetime when you write
to it.  Even a system as minimal as a firewall will require frequent write
operations if it does any logging at all.

Has this limitation been overcome in recent years?
Google isn't turning up any recent articles on this subject for me.