mysql and system/nice cpu usage

Omer Faruk Sen ofsen at enderunix.org
Sun Oct 31 09:34:41 PST 2004

Hi

The oid you are talking about is not valid in FreeBSD-4. Maybe you are
talking about FreeBSD-5 sysctl oids? But it does worth to try but I am not
sure which oid it is in FreeBSD 4..

REGARDS

PS: I have found vm.kvm_size. I think it is the one that corresponds in your
email?

TM4525 at aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 10/31/04 11:03:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> ofsen at enderunix.org writes:
>>but never come across with a problem like that. I am thinking to use Zend
>>Optimizer. Maybe that helps me ..
>>
>>If that doesn't help I was thinking to run sql on a seperate machine.
>
> You might try tuning kern.vm.kmem.size if thats not in the tuning suggestions.
> The OS tends to allocate way more memory than needed for the kernel if
> you have a lot of memory in the system; you probably don't need more than
> 100M or so unless you're running bgp or something unusual. Once you start
> swapping with mysql and php you're dead.
>
> Moving to another system can help, but be aware that if your network is
> busy it can add some "different" inefficiencies. If you do go to a separate
> system connect it with a dedicated NIC if possible, to alleviate network
> backup. If you have a multiple bus machine, moving your NIC to a separate
> bus from the HDD can significantly increase performance. When you have
> the NIC and HDD on the same bus, heavy network traffic can cause disk
> operations to back up and substantially slow database applications. Make
> sure the busses are really separate (and not cascaded), otherwise it won't
> help.
>
> Also if you're on a 32bit bus machine you'll have a lot more contention than
> with a pci-x bus. Most people think that if you have enough bus then it
> doesnt matter, but thats dead wrong. Bus contention between devices is
> a major performance factor.

Omer Faruk Sen
http://www.EnderUNIX.ORG
Software Development Team @ Turkey
http://www.Faruk.NET
For Public key: http://www.enderunix.org/ofsen/ofsen.asc

First Turkish FreeBSD book is out! Go check it.
Duydunuz mu! Turkiye'nin ilk FreeBSD kitabi cikti.
http://www.acikkod.com/freebsd.php