Soekris engineering "routers"

Chris Howells howells at kde.org
Sun Oct 31 08:36:45 PST 2004

On Sunday 31 October 2004 01:45, LiQuiD wrote:
> I've noticed a few people mention this company, http://www.soekris.com
> in the list now.  Their website claims they can be used with a compact
> flash card.  I'm curious regarding their usage with a flash card as a
> hard drive.  Has anyone successfully been able to install FreeBSD on one
> of those boxes using a compact flash card?

My current firewall is FreeBSD 5.3-beta7 running on a Celeron 700 with a pair
of xl NICs running from a 128MB Compact Flash card via an IDE->CF convertor.
I basically installed FreeBSD on a spare parition on my desktop, recompiled
the kernel to remove stuff that I didn't need and copies directories
like /usr, /bin etc over (very unscientific but I was in a rush and didn't
have time to write a nice script to automate it yet).

The CF card is mounted read only. rc.conf looks like this:

hostname="gimli.middleearth"
ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
ifconfig_xl1="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
sshd_enable="YES"
varmfs="YES"
tmpmfs="YES"
populate_var="YES"
pf_enable="YES"

(unfortunately the stuff in the handbook regarding read only file systems is
obsoleted by rcNG)

and fstab

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     ro              0       0

You could very very easily fit it onto a 64MB CF card or maybe even 32 if you
leave out some of the kernel modules, it just takes a bit more thought and
time.

Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris at chrishowells.co.uk, howells at kde.org
Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP ID: 0x33795A2C
KDE/Qt/C++/PHP Developer: http://www.kde.org