vinum disklabel FBSD 5.2.1....

Sun Oct 31 05:03:24 PST 2004

On 31 okt 2004, at 07:41, matt virus wrote:

> nobody ???

OK I'll give it a try. I have a vinum RAID 1 running though, but the
way to get it tunning isn't very different.

> matt virus wrote:
>> Hi all!
>> I have (8) maxtor 160gb drives I plan on constructing a vinum raid5
>> array with.
>> the devices are:
>> ad4....ad11
>> All drives have been fdisk'd and such,
>> ad4s1d.....ad11s1d
>> The first step of setting up vinum is changing the disklabel
>> disklabel -e /dev/ad4
>> The disk label says it has 8 partitions, but only the A and C
>> partitions are shown...
>> **********MY DISKLABEL********
>> # /dev/ad4:
>> 8 partitions:
>> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>>   a: 320173040       16    unused        0  0
>>   c: 320173056        0    unused        0  0 # "raw" part, don't edit

c: is not a valid disk label. You need to create one first. See the
example below first: there's an "e" label.
You can do this in sysinstall: Configure / Label / ad4 and then C to
create one.
Once that's done it'll show up in disklabel as you write below.
Then in disklabel you can change the 4.2BSD to vinum.

Of course you can also add the whole label-line in disklabel itself but
I find sysinstall easier.

Arno