Raidframe problem

Lorant Leopold lorant_leopold at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 31 00:24:01 PDT 2004

Hi All,
I have a pair of IDE disks which have FreeBSD 4.9 installed on them on two
mirrored (raid1) raidframe partitions:
raid0 mounted as /
raid1 as /usr
Something went wrong with this installation as it hangs at the startup,
regardless whether one or both disks are present and I am not able to fix
it. More importantly, before I reinstall fresh the whole thing, I need to
save some data from the /usr partition.

I plugged a third disk in the system and installed on it a vanilla FreeBSD
5.2.1 kern-developer distribution. I created the config file for the raid
device, but whenever I try to create the raid device by using  'raidctl -C
/etc/raid0.conf'  the system reboots with:
"Kernelized RAIDframe activated"
"RAIDFrame: protectedSectors is 64"
"Waiting for DAG engine to start"
"Panic: lockmgr: thread ... 'snip'"

Any ideas of what is wrong? This is brand new fresh install.
Thanks, Leo

The config file and disklabels I used are follows:

START array
1 2 0
START disks
/dev/ad1s1e
/dev/ad2s1e
START layout
64 1 1 1
START queue
fifo 100

# /dev/ad1s1:
type: ESDI
disk: ad1s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 16
sectors/cylinder: 1008
cylinders: 1657
sectors/unit: 1670697
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:   491520        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0
  b:   262144   491520      swap
  c:  1670697        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't
edit
  e:   917033   753664      raid